Saturday, 5 January 2013

Fortune favours the darn right stupid - 04/01/2013

Well after 3 days of looking at the weather outside and thinking 'do I, don't I,' yesterday I just thought sod it, I'm fishing no matter what. Leaving the house shortly after 5pm, I soon found myself on a South Lleyn mark where I fished for an hour or so into a nasty onshore wind before eventually realising it was a bad idea. I had packed my gear up and was headed homewards now feeling a little defeated, when I suddenly remembered a mark on the North Lleyn from last year where I'd winkled out a few fish in February, was worth a shot.
Anyway now nearing 7pm, I had finally found a spot where the wind was almost behind me, making the fishing far more comfortable. As I edged my way down to the sea over some very slippery boulders, I soon found myself arse over tit and lying facing the stars, not a great start. When I did finally get myself into a casting position though, confidence was restored. Although there was no signs of life anywhere, it just felt fishy, the water clarity was reasonably good and the slight swell was creating a nice area of white water around an island in front of me. The feeling soon disappeared though and after 3 hours of nothing, I decided for another small move, this time just a few hundred yards round the headland.
Now I was really desperate for a fish and after a second fall, my knees started to feel a bit bruised. Once in the new area though, I had much better grip on the rocks and wasn't fearing falling over as much. Starting off with the deadly SG Eel, it wasn't long before I felt some resistence, but this turned out to be weed. In fact, it was a little shallower than I had accounted for and next cast I lost the lure, this was getting frustrating. Anyway, still determined., I carried on fishing, this time opting to fish a white SG slug on a weedless jighead to combat the snags. This was a good move and after only a dozen or so casts, there was finally something pulling back. A few tentative moments later, I had beached my first fish of 2013, a small bass of maybe 1lb, get in!

Now on a real high and despite it starting to spit, I carried on chucking the slug out into the darkness, once more full of confidence. Another half an hour passed with not a sniff, before a quick smash and grab take had my rod arched over and the drag singing. Straight away it was obvious it was a better fish, so now all I had to do was guide it through the boulder minefield in front of me and onto dry land. A good few minutes later that's exactly what happened and on the rocks below me lay my first decent bass of the year, at 57cm and 3lb 14oz, it was a fish that made all the nights events worthwhile. It would also be the last action of the night and so now more than a little chuffed with my nights work, I scrambled my way back to the car to head home.

Thanks for reading,
Tight Lines,


  1. like they say you cant keep agood man down,great way to start 2013,lovely fish & great report m8.see you on the rocks very soon and thanks for all your advice and help you provided me with last year.camo col...

  2. Excellent blog! The idea you share is more useful for me. Thanks for sharing!

    Fishing in Alaska